Westwood Baptist Church exists to make faithful followers of Jesus Christ who impact the world for the glory of God.
- The Bible is the fully trustworthy and authoritative Word of God.
- There is one God who eternally exists as the Trinity: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- God created everything for his glory.
- Human beings are made in the image of God, but have fallen into sin and face judgment.
- God in his grace sent his Son to be the Savior of all those who trust in him.
- The good news of Christ as Savior is to be proclaimed to everyone.
- The Holy Spirit enables people to believe and to experience salvation.
- The Church consists of everyone who trusts Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
- Believers are to be baptized to show their commitment to Jesus Christ.
- The lives of believers should increasingly reflect the transforming power of the Spirit.
- Jesus Christ will one day return in power and glory and fully establish his eternal kingdom.
- Heaven and hell are real and will last forever.
A more complete statement of our beliefs is found in The Baptist Faith & Message 2000
Our Leadership Team
Children & Recreation Director
Interim Music Minister
Westwood Baptist Church is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, the Alabama Baptist Convention, and the Birmingham Baptist Association.
Westwood Baptist Church was founded in 1947 as a mission of Sandusky Baptist Church and Fairfield Baptist Church. The first pastor was Rev. J. B. Jackson. Over the years Westwood grew into strong congregation deeply involved in missions and evangelism. Today the church is still seeking to share Christ with a changing community and be a positive Christ-centered influence in the Birmingham area and beyond. Our current pastor, Steve Potts, started his ministry here at Westwood in 2006.
The message of the Bible is that you can know and love God.
- God is real and wants you to know him.
“The God who made the world and everything in it…gives to all mankind life and breath and everything” (Acts 17:24-25). “God our Savior…desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:3-4).
- People are sinners and need to be saved.
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
- Jesus Christ is the Savior everyone needs.
“Let it be known to all of you…by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead…there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:10, 12)
- You need to trust Jesus to receive eternal life.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life”
For help in becoming a Christian, please contact our church.